The world of microelectronics is a domain of innovation that has transformed virtually every facet of our lives. From smartphones to medical devices, from renewable energy solutions to space exploration, microelectronics is the driving force behind the technological marvels we encounter daily. In this rapidly evolving landscape, the need for nurturing and supporting the next generation of doctoral students and budding scientists in the microelectronics domain is paramount. The Horizon Europe’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) programme stands as a shining beacon, illuminating the path for these bright minds to contribute to and excel in the field.
A Glimpse into Horizon Europe and Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions:
Horizon Europe is the European Union’s flagship research and innovation programme, dedicated to advancing scientific knowledge, driving technological progress and fostering collaboration across borders. Within this expansive programme, the MSCA serve as a vital instrument to promote research careers, especially for early-career researchers, and to reinforce Europe’s human capital in science and technology.
Empowering Doctoral Students and Budding Scientists in Microelectronics through the project MIRELAI (MIcroelectronics RELiability driven by Artificial Intelligence):
The MIRELAI demands a delicate balance of theoretical knowledge, practical skills and innovative thinking. It is a multidisciplinary field where engineers, physicists, material scientists and computer experts converge to push the boundaries of what’s possible. Here’s how the funding from Horizon Europe’s MSCA is making a transformative impact:
- Research Mobility and Collaboration: One of the key features of the MSCA programme is the emphasis on mobility. Doctoral students and budding scientists in microelectronics can benefit from national/international mobility, allowing them to work in different research environments, gain exposure to diverse perspectives and collaborate with experts from around the world. This not only enriches their research but also equips them with a global outlook.
- Interdisciplinary Training: MIRELAI thrives at the intersection of various disciplines. MSCA funding supports training initiatives that bridge these disciplines, enabling researchers to learn from different fields. This interdisciplinary exposure fosters creativity and innovation, which are crucial in tackling the complex challenges posed by microelectronics.
- Industry-Academia Partnerships: Horizon Europe encourages partnerships between academia and industry. This connection is invaluable in MIRELAI, where research findings can directly influence technological advancements. Funding from MSCA facilitates collaborations with industry leaders, exposing researchers to real-world applications and enhancing the practical relevance of their work.
- Career Development: MSCA offers structured training and professional development opportunities for early-career researchers. In the microelectronics sector, where rapid advancements can be both exciting and overwhelming, such support ensures that researchers are well-prepared to navigate their careers successfully.
- Dissemination and Outreach: The MSCA programme also recognises the importance of communication. Funding recipients are encouraged to share their research findings with the wider public, sparking interest, and raising awareness about the significance of microelectronics in our lives. This outreach plays a vital role in inspiring the next generation of scientists and fostering a culture of scientific curiosity.
A personal reflection on the MIRELAI project: DC1 – Vikram Gourishankar Kamble
I am deeply grateful and honoured to have been awarded the Marie Curie Fellowship for my doctoral research. This prestigious fellowship not only provides invaluable financial support but also represents a recognition of the potential and significance of the MIRELAI research project. I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to the selection committee for believing in me and my past research work. This fellowship will enable me to embark on an exciting and meaningful journey in pursuit of knowledge and scientific discovery. I am excited about the opportunities it offers to collaborate with esteemed researchers and institutions, expanding my horizons and contributing to the advancement of science. I am equally committed to dedicating myself wholeheartedly to my research, aiming to make a positive impact on the field and society as a whole.
Horizon Europe’s MSCA are more than just funds for budding scientists like me; they are the catalysts propelling the MIRELAI forward. By empowering doctoral students and budding scientists, these actions create a thriving ecosystem where innovation flourishes, knowledge spreads and breakthroughs become the norm.